The XK140 was introduced in late 1954, as the successor to the XK120. Exterior changes that distinguished it included more substantial front and rear bumpers with overriders, and flashing turn signals (operated by a switch on the dash) above the front bumper. The grille remained the same size but became a one-piece cast unit with fewer, and broader, vertical bars. The Jaguar badge was incorporated into the grille surround. A chrome trim strip ran along the centre of the bonnet (hood) and boot (trunk) lid. An emblem on the boot lid contained the words “Winner Le Mans”. The interior was made more comfortable for taller drivers by moving the engine, firewall and dash forward to give 3 inches (76 mm) more legroom. Two 6-volt batteries, one in each front wing were fitted to the Fixed Head Coupe, but Drop Heads and the Open Two Seater had a single 12-volt battery. This was installed in the front wing on the passenger side (e.g. In the left wing on right hand drive cars and in the right wing on left hand drive).
This, matching number, RHD example is the very rare Special Equipment model. Powered by the Jaguar XK engine the modifications (2-inch sand-cast H8 carburettors, heavier torsion bars and twin exhaust pipes) and C-Type cylinder head, produce 210 bhp, thats 20bhp more than standard. This example also has the wire wheels, which were an option. It has under gone a full restoration around 10 years ago, which included some subtile modifications.
The XK140 is now widely viewed as the best of the XK models. The drivability of the XK150, with the classic design of the XK120.